Welcome to Mike’s blog. I hope you find my articles helpful as well as informative. I welcome comments on any of my articles. You might also want to sign up for my email notification so that you are notified any … Continue reading
A lawsuit has been filed in the United States District Court in New Jersey against Subaru of America, Inc. (“Subaru”) and Fuji Heavy Industries, Ltd.
What is the suit about?
The suit alleges that certain Subaru vehicles suffer from a design defect that causes them to consume excessive amounts of engine oil. The lawsuit seeks class action certification for people who currently own and lease the affected vehicles, as well as for people who previously purchased or leased the affected vehicles. The suit alleges that Subaru violated certain consumer statutes and breached certain warranties to its customers.
Subaru denies the suit’s claims, maintaining that it has not violated any warranties, statutes or laws, and maintains that the vehicles in question are not defective.
What remedies are available?
Unless they exclude themselves from the class action settlement by June 13, 2016, eligible Subaru purchasers/lessees are eligible for the following remedies if the court approves the proposed settlement:
- Cash reimbursements for expenses not previously reimbursed for vehicle oil consumption tests;
- Cash reimbursement for expenses not previously reimbursed for vehicle repairs to address oil consumption;
- Cash reimbursement for certain engine oil purchases, to the extent not previously reimbursed;
- Extended Power train Limited Warranty to cover authorized repairs to correct excess oil consumption (up to the earlier of 8 years or 100,000 miles);
- Cash reimbursement for rental car expenses and towing fees for the period of time the vehicle was being serviced for excess oil consumption.
What vehicles are involved?
Remedies are only available for people who bought or leased one of the following vehicles within the continental United States (including Alaska):
|Automatic/CVT Transmission||Manual Transmission|
|2011-2014 Forester (below VIN *529004)||2011-2015 Forester (below VIN *543624)|
|2012-2013 Impreza 4-door (below VIN *033336)||2012-2015 Impreza (below VIN *270253)|
|2012-2013 Impreza 5-door wagon (below VIN *886714)||2013-2015 Crosstrek (below VIN *2702874)|
|2013 Crosstrek (below VIN *856139)||2013-2014 Legacy (all)|
|2013 Legacy (below VIN *048086)||2013-2014 Outback (all)|
|2013 Outback (below VIN *321435)|
For more information, including the proposed settlement agreement, the claim form, important dates, and answers to frequently asked questions, visit the lawsuit settlement page at http://www.oilconsumption.settlementclass.com/index.html.