Topping Off the Damper
- Unscrew the piston cap and remove the piston assembly.
- Pour in SAE 20 oil into the hollow piston & then re-install the piston assembly.
- Add the oil until you get pressure while pressing the piston down.
Removing HD8 SU Carburetors
Take plenty of pictures before disconnecting things. This gives you a reference if needed later.
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Close the tap on the fuel filter and disconnect the banjo union.
- Remove the distributor vacuum advance pipe.
- Disconnect the fuel line from the auxiliary starting carburetor.
- Disconnect the throttle cables.
- Disconnect the wires from the choke solenoid.
- For automatic transmission type of applications, remove the spring clip that secures the kick down link at the rear of the rear carburetor.
- Disconnect throttle return springs.
- Remove the 4 mounting nuts that hold the carburetor to the intake manifold.
Adjusting Auxiliary Starting Carburetor
- Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature.
- Adjust the top screw #13 to enrich en the mixture a bit. This would mean turning counter-clockwise. Check this by energizing the solenoid by short circuiting the terminal of the thermostatic switch #6 and flick open the throttles. You should hear a pronounced hissing noise.
- Turning the screw counter-clockwise while the switch is being short circuited, until you get a rough idle.