AUTOLITE 4100 TROUBLESHOOTING PG2
Black Smoke & Gassy Smell at Idle
- Check needle & seat for leaking.
- Use spray carb cleaner and spray through all the small holes in the venturi. Also spray through the corresponding passage that leads down to the idle mixture.
- Remove idle mixture screw and check for dirt inside the passage.
- Adjust idle mixture to get a smooth idle.
- At idle look down the carburetor to see if gas is dribbling from the venturi. This might be caused by the check ball not sealing.
Choke Doesn’t Open When Hot
- Hot air choke – check stove pipe – it should be hot.
- Electric choke – Test for 12v with key on.
- Choke housing gasket missing or broken. See image below.
- Thermostat bad – apply hair dryer heat to the spring. It should expland at least 1/4″
- Choke plate, or linkage is binding. Remove linkage and test for binding.